For Advanced College Students to Age 24
June 20-July 25, 2021
Individuals as well as pre-formed string quartets may apply.
Pre-formed string quartets must have been playing together for a minimum of one academic year.
- Intensive study and performance of string chamber music
- Private instruction and chamber music coaching
- Weekly public performances
- Ensemble master classes
- Presentations and demonstrations by the faculty on topics such as quartet rehearsal techniques, 21st century artistic life, and pathways to success.
- Specialized curriculum for weeks four and five, including additional dedicated time with the American String Quartet and side-by-side study and performance of chamber music with an Artist Faculty violist and cellist.
- Community engagement performance and education opportunities
- Fellowship includes tuition, room, and board. Students are responsible for transportation to the program and a $500 residential fee
The Fellowship String Quartet Program provides intensive study and performance of string chamber music repertoire. Sixteen students will be accepted for the five-week Fellowship String Quartet Program and will study alongside the thirty-two students accepted into the three-week Chamber Music for Strings program. The fourth and fifth weeks are for the fellowship students alone and include specialized curriculum studying with the American String Quartet in week four, and studying and performing with an Artist Faculty violist and cellist in week five. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in community engagement activities, including performance and public speaking. Daily optional extra-curricular activities include canoe trips, outdoor sports, game nights, movie nights, and exploration of Madeline Island culture.
Each week brings a different ensemble-in-residence and individual faculty members to Madeline Island Chamber Music, giving students a breadth of input from highly-talented professional musicians.
Typical Daily Schedule
Includes 3 hours of scheduled individual practice, 2 hours of scheduled chamber music rehearsal, and 1 hour of chamber music coaching
|8:50-9:50 am||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|10:00-11:00 am||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|11:10 am-12:10 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|1:20-2:20 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|2:30-3:30 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|3:40-4:40 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|4:40-6:00 pm||Free time/scheduled residential activities|
|7:00-8:30 pm||Evening activity (masterclass, recital, presentation, or residential activity)|