For Advanced College Students to Age 24
June 18-July 23, 2017
Individuals as well as pre-formed string quartets may apply.
Pre-formed string quartets must have been playing together for a minimum of one academic year.
- Intensive study and performance of string chamber music
- Private instruction and chamber music coaching
- Weekly public performances
- Ensemble master classes
- Presentations and demonstrations including Practice Techniques, Rehearsal Techniques, Communication, and 21st Century Artistic Life.
- Specialized curriculum for weeks four and five, including additional dedicated time with the American String Quartet and side-by-side study and performance of chamber music with Artist Faculty violinist Geoff Nuttall and cellist Andrès Díaz.
- Community engagement performance and education opportunities
- Fellowship includes tuition, room and board. Students are responsible for transportation to the program and a $500 residential fee
The Fellowship String Quartet Program provides intensive study and performance of string chamber music repertoire. Sixteen students will be accepted for the five-week Fellowship String Quartet Program and will study alongside the thirty-two students accepted into the three-week Chamber Music for Strings program. The fourth and fifth weeks are for the fellowship students alone and include specialized curriculum studying with the American String Quartet in week four, and studying and performing with Faculty Artists violinist Geoff Nuttall and cellist Andrès Díaz in week five. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in community engagement activities, including performance and public speaking. Daily optional extra-curricular activities include canoe trips, outdoor sports, game nights, movie nights, and exploration of Madeline Island culture.
Typical Daily Schedule
Includes 3hrs of scheduled individual practice, 2hrs of scheduled chamber music rehearsal, and 1 hour of chamber music coaching
|8:50-9:50 am||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|10:00-11:00 am||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|11:10 am-12:10 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|1:20-2:20 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|2:30-3:30 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|3:40-4:40 pm||Rehearsals, coachings, private lessons, or individual practice|
|4:40-6:00 pm||Free time/scheduled residential activities|
|7:00-8:30 pm||Evening activity (masterclass, recital, presentation, or residential activity)|